Why Choose an Electric Water Heater? (Rather than Gas)
While most of our customers prefer a gas-powered water heater due to yearly cost savings, from time to time we do get some questions about electric water heaters. We have summed up our answers on why to choose electric water heater here so you can make an informed decision.
Keep in mind that it costs half as much to run a gas water heater that an electric. Also solar panels struggle to power a water heater, so we recommend you resist that route. If you’re looking for a proven plumbing company San Diego families and businesses trust to help them with these high-investment, long-term decisions, give us a call at 619-472-2112 for 24-hour service.
Choose an Electric Water Heater if:
- Your home is heated with oil rather than natural gas. Most San Diego neighborhoods have access to natural gas lines while those in the far East County and particularly rural places may not. Those living off the grid usually use well water and solar panels for their power and water. Oil fired water heaters are much more expensive than electric, so that option is out, too.
- It is only you and maybe one other person in the home. Gas water heaters can refill and reheat water twice as fast as electric, making them more ideal for more in the home.
- You, or a family member, are monumentally focused on water heater safety. Electric water heaters are less prone to causing fires than gas heaters are, as there are no open flame, flues, or combustion byproducts. Although the new gas models have so many new safety features, many people are still concerned about possible fires or natural gas or carbon monoxide leaks, which are still quite likely to occur.
- You are one who is looking to personally install and maintain a water heater themselves, electric heaters are much easier to install as opposed to the difficulties and risks of installing gas heaters.
- Your home is poorly ventilated, gas water heaters can emit carbon dioxide, causing bad air quality within the home. Those who prefer to keep the windows closed and doors shut should opt for electric heaters.
BBB A+ Rated Perry Plumbing Helps You Make the Gas / Electric Water Heater Decision
In over 30 years providing plumbing services in San Diego, we have installed thousands of water heaters, even the fast-heating tankless water heaters (read about tankless water heater advantages here.) We’ll help you choose depending on your water usage, family or business situation, fuel constraints, even the amount of room in your garage or facility.
Feel free to call us at 619-472-2112. Perry Plumbing’s frequent discount coupons for plumbing services apply to almost every plumbing issue San Diego homes create! Check out our Better Business Bureau A+ rating and our Google Plus four- and five-star ratings online!