When you Suspect Mold in Your San Diego Home
With the rains and flooding San Diego recently experienced, many local homes will be calling the mold remediation team. Even if mold is limited to one area, this toxic fungi produces spores that can easily be dispersed into other areas of your house. The mold spores seek out organic materials, such as wood, making cabinets/walls/flooring near pipes especially vulnerable. The spores also need moisture to grow, and will flourish in any damp areas. Sometimes it is just a minor, overlooked pipe leak that creates the perfect mold environment. Having a local plumbing company fix the pipe leak ensures that no new mold will grow once affected areas have been removed.
Mold warning signs:
- Dampness in areas that should not be damp, such as under your sink.
- A musty, foul odor.
- Discolored surfaces that can be green, gray, brown, or black in appearance. More serious mold growth will even appear like dewy outdoor moss.
- Respiratory health issues, including coughing, a runny nose, eye irritation, headaches, fatigue, a skin rash and even nausea.
If it is mold, then what should you do?
- Repair the source of the excess moisture
Detect the source of excess moisture, usually located close to the mold source. This can be a leaky roof, a dripping pipe, sprinklers that directly hit the outside wall of your home, and even condensation from steamy water vapor due to cooking, or hot showers.
- Carefully clean up the mold
To clean affected surfaces, first scrub down area with a mix of laundry detergent and warm water. Then add a solution of ¼ cup of bleach to 1 quart of water. Wait 20 minutes, and then rinse. Finish up affected area with a borax-based detergent that you do not rinse off. This will kill off the mold, and prevent further growth. Do not forget to wear goggles, gloves, and a breathing mask, and keep a window open for ventilation.
- Determine whether to clean or discard affected materials
If clothing, wash rags, linens were affected by the mold, a thorough cleaning through your washing machine should suffice. Use bleach if necessary for whites that were affected. If item affected is not washable, and you worry about using bleach on it, removing moisture with a wet vac, and then airing it out in the outdoor sunshine. If, after a couple of days, the item is still musty-smelling, it may be time to discard it entirely.
Perry Plumbing Heating & Air perform the preventative maintenance to head off mold
Do not continue to let a slow leak turn into a horrible mold problem that not only affects your home’s surfaces, but also your health. Whether the issue is from a water heater that leaks, a washing machine that is releasing moisture on to the surrounding walls, or an underground pipe that is the culprit, our expert technicians will determine the source of your water accumulation, and eradicate it. Call us at 619-472-2112, and check out our website at www.perryplumbing.com. You can even use our helpful coupons to save even more money. Read our favorable 5-Star Google Plus and Yelp reviews, and rest assured that our award-winning company will provide friendly, helpful, expert service for all of your plumbing needs.