Prevent Clogged Restaurant Kitchen Sink in San Diego
The clogged restaurant kitchen sink can be a business disaster. You cannot let smells, backed up orders and even health hazards impact your profits. Keep unexpected plumbing issues from cropping up with these clogged restaurant sink prevention tips.
A little background
The grease trap under the sink catches a lot of what causes drains to clog, but you may not have considered the other prime suspect: the dishwasher. The scalding hot water in the dishwasher melts the grease into liquid form, but once it hits the pipes in the ground it cools, collects and creates a catastrophe. Kitchen staff thinks it’s something that they have recently put down the sink, but really a long buildup of grease has finally sealed off a pipe somewhere under the sink, under the floor even. Believe it or not, as a commercial San Diego plumber, we are called to the same restaurants three or four times a year to clear the same blockages.
Restaurant owners should take the following precautions to manage that fat, oil and grease (also known as FOG).
- Make sure the grease traps installed in your kitchen are working properly. Read more about grease trap installation in this post.
- Contract with a grease handler or pumper.
- Discuss with employees restaurant protocol for proper grease disposal, including location of grease bins. Explain the dire consequences if protocol is not followed. Make sure to supply employees with all materials needed to properly dispose of grease.
- Wipe up grease spills with food grade paper rather than reusable cloth. Throw the paper in the trash. Don’t wash grease soaked towels in the washing machine.
- Put fatty food scraps and oil into the garbage, not the sink drain or any other drain.
If you do have a blockage, it’s tough to fix it without professional tools. Using sophisticated video inspection cables, Perry Plumbing finds the blockage quickly and breaks through it using augers, drill-enabled augers, and high-pressure water jetting that gets your pipe squeaky clean so you can be back in business ASAP. Order up!
Perry Plumbing Keeps Greasy Commercial Kitchen Disasters to a Minimum
Restaurant owners know that kitchen catastrophes are part of doing business. Problems don’t have to be disastrous when you quick solutions. For 35 years, Perry Plumbing has serviced restaurants from Del Mar to downtown San Diego to South Bay and everywhere in between. There is no sink or floor drain too challenging for us to unblock. Call us at 619-472-2112 or schedule an appointment here and we will get a certified technician experienced in commercial plumbing for restaurants to you immediately.