Making San Diego Whole House Re-piping Doable
With 38 years providing plumbing services to old homes in downtown, Hillcrest, North and South Park and even Escondido (established 1888), we have learned too well that the last thing an owner wants to hear is: “You are going to need a whole house re-piping.”
San Diego’s old Victorians and Craftsman style homes have more charm than a Disney movie. We love seeing how their owners put so much work into re-invigorating old moldings, ceilings, floors and porches. Plumbing? Well, that is necessary aspect of home ownership . . . convenient, but more out of sight. A diagnosis of whole house re-piping can be a disappointment at first, since at least with new paint, homeowners have a visual reward for their money and efforts.
Whole house re-piping brings its own pleasures. We promise! First, you know that you are providing healthy clean water to your family. If galvanized pipes are the problem, removing them reassures you that you are stopping dangerous rust ingestion. Iron pipes, too, can rust and corrode, allowing bacteria and viruses into drinking and bathing water. Water pressure improves with the latest greatest pipe technology. Those of you who grew up in old homes know the frustration of trying to rinse shampoo from your hair with a weak stream from the shower-head. Moreover, a whole-house plumbing system brings sophisticated low flush toilets and faucet aerators that can reduce water bills by 30%. Finally, new pipes even have a way of running off ghosts (which were really loose, old pipes hitting the walls with the water flow.)
Many of San Diego’s downtown homes have their original cast-iron pipes from the early 1900s or copper pipes installed in the 1950s. While parts of iron pipes can disintegrate completely, copper pipes can become riddled with tiny pinholes that cause leaks, mold and significant damage. These antiques sometimes just become too costly to patch over and over again. With amazing new pipe materials like PEX that bend around corners, there is no sense suffering and undergoing ultimately ineffective patch jobs.
San Diego’s specialist in old home plumbing, Perry Plumbing Heating & Air breaks down the whole house re-piping in the following steps:
* Inspection: Using cable video inspection equipment, we find the extent of the new piping needed.
* Estimation: After inspection, we take all measurements required from the city hook up at the street, throughout the house and to the drains on the property. We create a quote to handle all aspects of the whole house re-piping, including labor and materials. Homeowners looking to re-do a bathroom or upgrade to low-flow fixtures should know that this is the ideal time!
* Preparation: Homeowners receive instructions on protecting furnishings, rugs, draperies and more. The entire process for an extensive whole house re-piping should take no more than two to three days, during which homeowners often choose to take a short vacation, stay with relatives or in a hotel. We also offer homeowners the option of staying in the home. To make this work, we arrange a bypass so you can still have access to water.
* Installation: Do not imagine entire walls pulled down and your house a shambles. Perry Plumbing Heating & Air professionals take pains to open walls only
where critical and work with those openings.
* Test: Once the last valve is turned, we go through an extensive testing system to make sure everything is working correctly.
* Bring in painting and dry wall professionals. Plumbers do not handle these aspects of the job.
Let the San Diego Old Home Experts Walk You Through a Whole-House Re-piping
Perry Plumbing, Heating and Air Walks You Through It
Perhaps you cannot put off your whole house re-piping any longer. Rest assured that family owned and operated Perry Plumbing Heating & Air will do our best to make the process convenient and affordable. Call us at 619-472-2112 to schedule an inspection or via email. Our state of the art tools and technicians with decades of experience in old homes and whole house re-piping get life back to normal fast!